Sunday, January 9, 2011

Old Fashioned Chicken n' Dumplin Stew/Soup!

This is the best soup ever. And I can say that because its my Mom's recipe and everything she makes is wonderful... The dumplings are light and healthy whole wheat! This was perfect for a potential ice storm. Luckily we have leftovers for tomorrow should weather be as bad as they say! You'll want to make this.. its delightful and warms you up from the inside out. I truly hope you enjoy it as much as I do! The ingredient list looks long, but I promise its a cheap meal that lasts more than 1 night!


The actual recipe is pretty lose. I'll give you the exact measurements, and then let you know what I did!
Soup Ingredients:
2 cans of chicken broth
1.5 cups water
1 bay leaf (fresh or dry)
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 large onion chopped
2 large carrots sliced (I used 3)
3 stalks of celery sliced (Not in the original recipe)
10 oz frozen peas (I used a whole 12 oz bag)
6 oz yolk-less noodles (I used the whole 8 oz bag)
2 cup pre-cooked cubed chicken

Dumpling Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1 T butter
1 egg white
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 T fresh parsley

First, combine all ingredients for the soup except for the noodles. They suck up a lot of water/broth! Bring to a boil and let cook until you are about 15 minutes away from "dinner time." I let mine simmer about 1 hour.


Add noodles and let cook while you make the dumplings.





For the dumplings, mix together your dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until well mixed. Add your egg white, buttermilk, and parsley then stir to combine.




Drop dumplings by heaping tablespoons into the soup (they will float)




Cover for about 5-7 minutes until cooked through




Ladle into bowls and seriously, ENJOY!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment