Sunday, March 13, 2011

Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Chick Peas over Spaghetti Squash

First and foremost, forgive me for not posting in over a month! Why has no one held me accountable? I have actually made probably 5-6 tasty dishes that I would love to share, but the photographs are not worthy of the blog. Yes, I have standards... But alas, the reason for this post!


This is not a meal that will satisfy your "Meat and Potatoes" man. This is a vegan recipe that is very healthy and most girls will LOVE it. Men will search anxiously to no avail for some kind of chicken, beef, etc. Nowhere to be found. I loved this... and since I'm selfish.. I will share with you!

The List

1 medium to large spaghetti squash
1 pound brussels sprouts 
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 gloves of garlic, pressed
1/2 cup vegetable broth (you could use chicken)
15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
Sliced or Slivered almonds if desired

The Rules  Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce squash 8-10 times with a skewer all the way through to the flesh. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at least an hour, turning every 25 minutes. I probably baked mine closer to an hour and a half. Skin should soften and get brown. A knife should slide through like butter. Allow to cool and set aside until ready to handle.
2. While squash is nearing the end of its cooking time, trim and discard the ends of the sprouts. Cut sprouts in half and place on a baking sheet. Spray them all with cooking spray. Once the squash comes out, pop these babies in and bake about 15 minutes until starting to brown.

3. Meanwhile, cut squash in half, seed it, and then start shredding the squash with a fork into a large bowl. Cover and keep warm.

4. In a large skillet, cook the onions on medium-high heat until they start to become golden (5 or 6 minutes). Add sprouts, garlic, and vegetable broth and cover. Cook about 5 minutes, adding broth as necessary. Add chickpeas, basil, and red pepper flakes. Cook until heated through. Add salt, pepper, and lemon juice. 

5. Toss everything with the squash in the large bowl and then serve it up with almonds as a garnish!

Enjoy :)



2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a recipe with brussel sprouts in it because, get this, I'VE NEVER EATEN THEM BEFORE. So is this a good virgin brussel sprout recipe? Will I decide to love them and eat them once a week? I'm trusting your taste buds.

    Also, hello! I miss you, and Steve and Sam and I drove through Roswell last night (LATE) coming back from my brother's wedding, and I thought about you. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey stranger! I miss you so much! This is a good brussells sprouts recipe! Can't believe you've never had them! There is another post on here that you mix them with apricots and pisatchios which is also DIVINE! But... I LOVE THEM. The good thing about this recipe is that if you hate them, you just pick them out :) Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete