Friday, May 6, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner!

This was one of my favorite dinners. First of all, I am a sucker for any and all pancakes. But these were LEGIT. Beats any pancake house I've been to! And they are healthier. Go figure. That USUALLY doesn't happen! Second of all, most of you who really know me, know that eggs essentially make me GAG. Pregnancy has changed that. I could have eaten this whole thing if I was a little further along and had the excuse ;)

ENJOY THIS! Make it for dinner, or go ahead and make it on a Saturday for breakfast!




  • 2 tsp Olive Oil
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced (I used a yellow onion)
  • 2 cups broccoli, steamed and chopped (I bought 1 bag of chopped frozen broccoli and steamed it in the bag in the microwave)
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 egg whites (Yes, that's a total of 8 eggs folks!)
  • 2 T water
  • 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
  • (Not in original recipe, but I used): 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper)
  • (Not in originial recipe, but I used 1/2 tsp salt)
  • (Not in original recipe, but I used 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper)
Directions:
  1. Heat olive oil in large, cast-iron skillet (or any oven safe skillet you have). Saute onion in hot oil for about 5 minutes, until soft
  2. Beat eggs and egg whites together with water  (I used a whisk)
  3. Add broccoli to the skillet with the onion and mix together. Cook another 2 minutes.
  4. Pour egg mixture over the onions and broccoli and make sure it spreads evenly. 
  5. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook about 8 minutes. Edges should be firm, but center will be a little runny
  6. Top center with cheese, and pop in the broiler for only about 2 minutes (uncovered)
  7. Slice into 8 wedges and serve
*Variations are possible here. You could do mushrooms and spinach. You could go the Greek route with olives and spinach and top with feta. Possibilities are endless! Experiment and let me know what works!

  • 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour OR whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk, low fat
  • 3/4 cups milk, fat-free (I actually used soy milk here)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 T honey
  • Cooking Spray
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
  2. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, buttermilk, milk, honey, and vanilla (I used a whisk)
  3. Coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and preheat over a medium-low heat/flame.
  4. Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing only to combine. Batter WILL be lumpy
  5. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to ladle batter into griddle or skillet
  6. Flip pancakes when they are golden brown on bottom and bubbles form on top (about 1 1/2 minutes per side). Cook other side until golden brown. Keep pancakes warm in oven while you finish the remaining ones

1 comment:

  1. Need a blog update. Maybe we could do some guest blogs on each others to generate more traffic and cooking ideas?

    ReplyDelete